Health on the Net Code - Ethics and Policy (Visit this link)
HON Code of Conduct (HONcode) for medical and health Web sites
1. Authoritative Indicate the qualifications of the authors
Any medical or health advice provided and hosted on this site will only be given by medically trained and qualified professionals unless a clear statement is made that a piece of advice offered is from a non-medically qualified individual or organisation.
2. Complementarity Information should support, not replace, the doctor-patient relationship
The information provided on this site is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her existing physician.
3. Privacy Respect the privacy and confidentiality of personal data submitted to the site by the visitor
Confidentiality of data relating to individual patients and visitors to a medical/health Web site, including their identity, is respected by this Web site. The Web site owners undertake to honour or exceed the legal requirements of medical/health information privacy that apply in the country and state where the Web site and mirror sites are located.
4. Attribution Cite the source(s) of published information, date and medical and health pages
Where appropriate, information contained on this site will be supported by clear references to source data and, where possible, have specific HTML links to that data. The date when a clinical page was last modified will be clearly displayed (e.g. at the bottom of the page).
5. Justifiability Site must back up claims relating to benefits and performance Any claims relating to the benefits/performance of a specific treatment, commercial product or service will be supported by appropriate, balanced evidence in the manner outlined above in Principle 4.
6. Transparency Accessible presentation, accurate email contact
The designers of this Web site will seek to provide information in the clearest possible manner and provide contact addresses for visitors that seek further information or support. The Webmaster will display his/her E-mail address clearly throughout the Web site.
7. Financial disclosure Identify funding sources
Support for this Web site will be clearly identified, including the identities of commercial and non-commercial organisations that have contributed funding, services or material for the site.
8. Advertising policy Clearly distinguish advertising from editorial content
Submitted by: admin
Added: Thu Jan 31 2002
Last Modified: Wed Jan 02 2008